Re: Error while trying to call a stored procedure from inside another stored procedure.

From: gamaz <gamaz_at_eathlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 00:40:59 GMT

Hello Sybrand,
It sounds that you are guru of Oracle. I would appreciate if you try to act like a real guru ( I assume that you know the real meaning of guru). Did you see that you wasted more time in your censure than supplying the needed information. By the way, I am from sql server environment and old habits do creep in occasionally. Hope you understand and not make sweeping judgement about others.
Regards.

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:n8fquucq0886p3pbacvur1ukunpmf32q85_at_4ax.com...
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:40:56 GMT, "gamaz" <gamaz_at_eathlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I have written a stored procedure which compiles and executes fine on its
> >own. Now I need to
> >run this stored procedure n times while n is being a supplied value.
> >This second stored procedure I created is basically executing a loop and
the
> >number of times
> >of execution is the number supplied to this stored procedure. This stored
> >procedure calls the
> >first stored procedure. However, this cannot execute the first procedure
(it
> >seems to me) and it
> >gives an error.
> >Any help/advise is appreciated in advance. I am attaching the source as
well
> >as error code. I also
> >made sure that the first procedure can be executed manually and it does.
> >
> >SQL> create procedure loop_execute (loop_num in number)
> > 2 AS
> > 3 BEGIN
> > 4 DECLARE i number;
> > 5 BEGIN
> > 6
> > 7 WHILE i <= loop_num
> > 8 LOOP
> > 9 EXECUTE proc_test5;
> > 10 END Loop;
> > 11 END;
> > 12 END;
> > 13 /
> >
> >Warning: Procedure created with compilation errors.
> >
> >SQL> show errors
> >Errors for PROCEDURE LOOP_EXECUTE:
> >
> >LINE/COL ERROR
>
>-------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
> >9/11 PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "PROC_TEST5" when expecting
one
> > of the following:
> > := . ( @ % ; immediate
> > The symbol ":=" was substituted for "PROC_TEST5" to continue.
> >

> >SQL> EXECUTE proc_test5;
> >
> >PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
> >
> >SQL>