Re: glogin, on windows, affecting all sqlplus sessions.

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:41:46 -0000

"Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:uadjmc35z.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com...
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl wrote:
>
> > Just an idea: you could set up a glogin.sql on each Windows
> > client machine when Oracle software is installed that calls a
> > script in a common directory that is always available for all
> > users and writable for authorised people only.
>
> Right now, I am maintaining a glogin in source safe and I have
> everybody get the latest version of that to their
> $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin dir.
>
> > You will have only 1 script to maintain for the entire
> > environment. An alternative is to set up the SQLPATH registry
> > key and include a common directory where login.sql can be
> > found, but if users have access to the registry they could
> > change it again.. as they can with the local glogin.sql
> > probably.
>
> If users want to bypass the glogin, there is not much I can do
> about it except get peeved when I find out.
>
> --
> Galen Boyer

Agree. My recommendation: Protect the database on the server side, irrespective of what the punters can do on the client side. Then you can happily leave the client side as wide open as it should be. If they can call your API correctly, whatever app they are using, welcome.

Of course, nobody is allowed to update tables; they are given execute privileges on procedures and packages.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Paul Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 15:41:46 CST