Re: Oracle History??

From: Jesper Wolf Jespersen <oz8ace_at_qsl.net.spam>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:47:16 +0100

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:BA018A87.2D39%markbtownsend_at_attbi.com...
> in article FQQC9.80630$g9.227235_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com, Howard J. Rogers
at
> howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au wrote on 11/20/02 11:00 AM:
>
> I'd take the content on oracle.com with a little bit of a grain of salt.
It
> doesn't actually say Parallel Server, it says 'Offers a parallel server
> database'
>
> It sort of all depends on what meaning you attach to 'Offers ...' and 'a
> parallel server database'
>
> It's true that some early OPS technology was available in 1985 with V5.
> However, the general consensus is 6.2 on VMS.

I know for certain that Parallel Server was part of Oracle 6.0.36, since it was used at out compagny in that version. We used it since it overcame some of the problems of using multi CPU systems with loose coupling of the CPU's.

I dont know if OPS was officially a part of 6.0.36, but we had access to the Oracle source code back then and had it running, even used it quite a lot.

I was not doing any Oracle work back then, I wrote Process Control Applications back then, and Oracle was way to slow for near real time work :-)

Greetings from Denmark
Jesper Wolf Jespersen Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 14:47:16 CST