Re: 9.0.1 Install errors - Help?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 06:16:12 +1100

"Mark Brandyberry" <mdbrandy_at_uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:Ef3H9.1276$Vf3.14957_at_vixen.cso.uiuc.edu...
> I had been installing it under an account I had made that I had added to
the
> local administrator group. Just for grins, this morning I logged in under
> the "administrator" account, and tried making a DB again, using the DB
> Config Assistant. No joy - same error. At the time of the error, there
is
> 2.6 GB left on the drive, so it doesn't seem to be a space problem (the
> entire installed DB is under 1 GB when it's done).

If I remember correctly, you need 2.83GB for an Enterprise Edition install. So I think that space most definitely is the issue.

As to how you resize the datafiles (as you asked in another post)... it's the penultimate screen, just before you see the one where the 'create database' option is ticked. On the left-hand side of the screen, it lists all the controlfiles, datafiles and redo logs it is going to create. Each entry has a little '+' next to it, which if clicked expands the tree so you can see exactly what you're about to get.

If you click on any of the datafiles or redo logs listed there, the right-hand panel displays its size and so on, which you can modify as you like.

However, you can only do such adjustments if you selected to create a 'New Database': if you opted to install one of Oracle's template databases (Data Warehouse, OLTP, or General) then the file sizes are fixed because the install simply clones them from its templates.

I've also mentioned this several times before: don't ever select to create a database as part of the install of Oracle itself. Do a 'Software Only' install, and create the database afterwards as a separate exercise, using the Database Configuration Assistant. The amount of swap needed to do a combined install/create seems to be much bigger than that needed for an install followed by a create.

Regards
HJR