Re: 9.0.1 Install errors - Help?

From: Mark Brandyberry <mdbrandy_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:47:57 -0600

Well, I've at least identified the problem. I realized that on the WinXP installation that worked (but was just a "play with" installation), I chose "Data Warehouse" as the database template in DB Config Assistant. On the Win2000 installations that have been failing, I have been choosing "general use". So, I just went back and chose data warehouse on the Win2000 instance, and it worked fine. Thus, I must assume that the general use template that gets installed with Oracle 9.0.1 is hosed. I don't know enough about the differences at this point to know where to look, so I guess I'll just go with this for now.

Glad to hear any thoughts about why the general use template fails...

Thanks.

Mark

"Mark Brandyberry" <mdbrandy_at_insightbb.com> wrote in message news:KkXG9.213274$WL3.75164_at_rwcrnsc54...
> OK, I have two separate Win2000 machines that I've tried to install Oracle
> Enterprise 9.0.1 on now, and I'm getting the same weird errors. One of
the
> machines is Win2000 Pro, and one is Win2000 Advanced Server. I get
through
> the entire installation up to running the Database Configuration
Assistant.
> While it tries to make the database, it gets to the "Creating and starting
> Oracle instance" stage, and then the errors start. First, I get:
>
> ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed.
>
> Then, I get:
>
> ORA-01565: error in identifying file

'e:\oracle\oradata\homeDB\UNDOTBS01.DBF

> But, that file IS there. However, next I get:
>
> ORA-27046: file size is not a multiple of logical block size
>
> and,
>
> ORA-00210: cannot open the specified controlfile
>
> obviously, since it wasn't created.
>
> There are a few other errors, and if I ignore them all, the database
starts
> fine, but won't mount since there are no control files. I'm installing a
> vanilla database, and I didn't change any of the configuration parameters,
> didn't unselect any of the default options to install, and I've tried
using
> several different DB names, SIDs, etc. Same errors every time. On an
WinXP