rman+lsm with 9i EE on Windows2000 problems

From: Dave Kosenko <dkosenko_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2002 07:10:50 -0800

I am attempting to use rman with lsm (Legato Storage Manager) that comes with Oracle 9i (both 9.0.1 and 9.2.0.1) on a Windows2000 Server platform. Following the minimal instructions provided, I shut down the oracle services and ran the lsminst.exe. Lsm was installed correctly, and I was able to successfully configure resources in lsm
(I use Legato regularly for other backups, albeit on different
machines).

I can successfully create backups to disk through rman, but whenever I try to access lsm via device types sbt or 'SBT_TAPE', I get an error that the library cannot be loaded. The library (orasbt.dll) is in place in both the system32 folder and c:\win32app\nsr\bin.

If I try loading the library with no PARMS, along the lines of:

run {
allocate channel c1 device type sbt;
}

it complains that the media management library could not be found. The trace file provides little more info, other than referencing oracle.static.

If I provide the library path:

run {
allocate channel c1 device type sbt
parms='SBT_LIBRARY=c:\win32apps\nsr\bin\orasbt.dll'; }

I get the same error in rman (can't load media manager) and the trace file just says that the library could not be loaded, referencing the path specified for parms above. I have tried referencing the other locations where I have placed copies of the dll
(C:\winnt\system32\orasbt.dll,

g:\oracle\Ora90\bin\orasbt.dll) with the same result.

I have had no problem getting rman+lsm to work on linux. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong under win2K? All installs are done as Administrator, and there are no errors during the install. The trace files suggest looking at sbtio.log, but that file is consistently empty.

Thanks,
Dave Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 09:10:50 CST