Table partitioning question

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:26:22 +0100

Hello,

I do not have experience in partitioning, so I want to ask You, if You would or not partition a table "Person" under the follwing circumstances:

Person has "only" 1.2 million rows.
Person is non-partitioned yet and grows very slowly, but continuously (maybe 50.000 a year)
Person has only 15 columns, no LOBs (in any table)

Joins:
Person is joined with Adresses (1 million rows) over pers_id - FK. Person is joined with Company_Parameters (1 million rows) over pers_id - FK. Person is joined with Subscribers (1 million rows) over pers_id - FK. A Where Clause checking for surname is added.

1 Index on Surname and 1 on PK (ID)

The Joins are in Oracle Forms 5.0 in a C/S environment. A Form "Subscribers" calls a LOV with a person selection -

and the very important:
the LOV needs 1 minute to come up ...

Leaving out Forms questions now, where some of the bottlenecks are to be found also,
(Form is calling stored procedures as well ...) would any partitioning be helpful at all to this, e.g. partitioning Person by the first letter of the surnames ? Remember, I am dealing with "just" 1 million rows, that should be peanuts for Oracle ?

Oracle 8.1.7. on AIX 4.3.3

ThanX in advance,
Jan Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 06:26:22 CST