Re: Making a little java server under oracle

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 03 Dec 2002 09:43:07 +1100

rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com (Rauf Sarwar) writes:

> With the addition of JVM in Oracle, most java programmers are tempted
> to use it instead of PLSQL engine.
>
> What I have learned is that the first option should always be PLSQL.
> If for some reason you cannot do something in PLSQL (and you can do a
> good amount of stuff in PLSQL) or there maybe performance
> issues...only then explore the java option.

I agree 100%

I have also noticed this and have seen Java procedures being created/used which almost exactly replicate already existing functionality provided by PL/SQL.

In fact, recently we adopted the policy whereby you have to get your supervisor/team leaders approval to create a java stored proc in an attempt to encourage finding PL/SQL solutions first.

I think a possible reason for people over-using Java is just familiarity - many of the new developers we get are familiar/experienced with Java (which they often picked up while at uni), but very few have any PL/SQL experience (referring to entry level positions here).

Add to this the NDH problem (Not Developed Here) where you often get developers wanting to write everything themselves rather than utilizing already existing solutions/packages etc and suddenly you have all these java procedures which really replicate existing procedures or packages or which could just as easily (often more easily) have been done with PL/SQL.

Tim Received on Mon Dec 02 2002 - 16:43:07 CST