Re: RMAN and two LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_<n>

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:46:26 -0000

It looks like you will get an official reply along the lines that 'RMAN does work and is supported' see

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/paraserv.817/a76934/ch ap4.htm#1030586

and

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/paraserv.817/a76970/ps adm_ba.htm#5691

which both talk about using RMAN to backup an Oracle Parallel Server Database. So it looks to me like it is possible to achieve what the client has specified, but it will be a pain in the arse to achieve, document and make work reliably. ISTM that if a backup solution takes (say) a week to design and implement then it is probably too complex to be an appropriate backup solution. In a disaster backup and recovery needs to be documented sufficiently well for an untrained monkey to follow the instructions, for the simple reason that whoever is doing the operation will be under so much stress that the procedure needs to be foolproof.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA