Re: tx isolation

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 14:37:10 +1300

Hi Christoph

There has been a lot posted about this previously. Your best bet would be to search groups.google.com / google.com and look for the following;

"read consistency" or more accurately "multi-version read consistency" "lock escalation" or "escalating locks" etc.

In a nutshell, Oracle was architected many versions ago (ie it is not a new feature) to ensure that those reading from the database do not have to wait for those updating the database. This is not the case in many other databases such as sql server and you have to resort to escalating locks, reading uncommitted transactions etc. to overcome it.

An Oracle biased link is here
http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/oracle9i/db_sql_ma_askms.html

Further detail is in the Concepts document which can be found at the Oracle documentation site tahiti.oracle.com