Re: Making a little java server under oracle

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 02 Dec 2002 09:51:03 +1100

"Simon Harvey" <ReplyToGroup_at_thanks.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Im hoping someone can help me with a project that im doing at university.
> I'm investigating the possibility of having a simple server application
> written in java that runs in oracle in the usual way (loaded with loadjava)

I think you might need to re-think your stratergy - trying to embed a java server within the jvm within the oracle database is IMHO going to be problematic and may not even work.

Possibly a better approach would be to create a stand-alone java server which connects to oracle using jdbc. You could have java stored procedures within the database which connect to your java server as well if necessary.

Another alternative might be to see if you really need to use a java server to achieve whatever it is you are trying to do. You may be able to achieve the same sort of fuctionality using just java stored procedures and servlets or JSP or PLSQL server pages etc.

Bottom line - either drop the server concept or put the java server outside the database.

Good luck.

Tim Received on Sun Dec 01 2002 - 16:51:03 CST