Re: Oracle 9.2.0.1 swap reservation on hp-ux 11

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 10:54:43 +1300

Hi Arek

I guess the question is why do you want to disable reserving of swap - what problem is this causing you?

Pseudo swap is just that - pseudo. It does not exist and is not taking any resources. I do not believe it is possible to fully disable reserving swap for processes (this is an operating system function and cannot be changed by an application like oracle), in many ways pseudo swap is there precisely to try and do that.

If you are having memory problems because of the amount of memory used (rather than reserved), then that is a different matter. This would be signalled by paging out activity seen using glance or vmstat. In that case there are things that can be done;

etc.