Re: Last time password was changed

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 20:57:40 -0000

"damorgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3DE7ECE6.92408DDB_at_exesolutions.com...
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message
> > > "Daniel Roy" <danielroy10_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
Siebel

> > > Daniel,
> > >
> > > Welcome to the real world.
> > > Yes, the ones I've seen are all that bad, or worse. BTW, please do not
> > start
> > > me off on Peoplesoft.
> > > And (this will no doubt incite a veritable inferno), though I have no
> > > experience of them, I would not be surprised if the Oracle apps were
not
> > > much better.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Paul
> > >

> > With respect to Oracle Apps I will only mention:
> > *NO* RI in the database.
> > No further comments necessary. Peoplesoft, Broadvision, etc, etc, they
*ALL*
> > do the same.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address
>
> Please clarify ... are you saying Oracle apps don't have referential
integrity
> enforced by constraints and triggers? If so that is news to me.
>
> If you are saying that PeopleSoft, etc. don't that wouldn't be news to
anyone
> ... I hope.
>
> Dan Morgan

Daniel (Morgan),

No, Peoplesoft doesn't. The whole thing is a giant COBOL app with no database constraints at all. They just use the database as if it was a file repository. That's why we get lots of orphans, have to do loads of cleansing before we can get it into data marts, data warehouses, reporting databases etc.
It also means our Business Objects developers are forever using outer joins. This of course helps performance no end... Now do you wonder why I call it Peopleshit? And I suspect Nuno has a similar opinion.
Sorry for the rant, but I did warn an earlier poster (a different Daniel, I think) not to get me started on Peoplesoft.

But Sybrand, I'd appreciate the same clarification on Oracle Apps.

Regards,
Paul

P.S. They don't even have primary keys, so we can't even replicate the damn thing sensibly; we have to use rowids (ugh!).

Paul Received on Sat Nov 30 2002 - 14:57:40 CST