Re: how to update portion of the varchar type data

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:51:02 GMT

hkgirlygirl_at_aol.com (Hkgirlygirl) wrote in news:20021129180850.29397.00008030 @mb-mg.aol.com:

> if I index the column varchar(30) and when I select my data by using
> order by substr(item,4,3), will that do a table scan?

Yes it will do a table scan. You're going to need to reconsider your design.

I wasn't able to fully comprehend what you are attempting to do so you might want to explain it further. Although, that's no longer an Oracle issue. Perhaps posting to news:comp.databases.theory ??? or just email me.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com