Re: pinning a table in memory

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:07:28 +1100

And the second you try putting a 6 million record table into the keep pool, kiss goodbye to whatever remnants of performance you thought you had.

Cache is for sissy Oracle 7 users. It has no use in an 8i or 9i database. None. Whatsoever. (And it didn't do too much in 7, either).

You can't "pin" a table in memory, ever. And for a 7 million row table, you shouldn't try.

You need to get down and dirty as to precisely WHAT is making the access to it "a tad slow". No indexes? Lots of physical I/O? Parse time? Crap hardware? Naff operating system?

Get your statspack report, pipe it to www.oraperf.com, and report back. Then we can take it further.

Regards