SQL*Loader Delimited Problem

From: Jonathan Bliss <bliss_jonathan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:51:08 -0000

Hi, help would be appreciated,

Problem:

Pipe delimited variable length file.

table1.col1 | table1.col2 | table1.col3 | table2.col1 | table2.col2 | table1.col4

control file

load data
into table table1
(col1,

 col2,
col3)

--
into table table2

(col1,
col2) -- into table table1
(col4)
This of course starts a new row for table1.col4, my current work around is to stage the data through work tables. load data into table table1
(load_rec recnum,
col1, col2, col3) -- into table table2
(col1,
col2) -- into table table1_tail
(load_rec recnum,
col4) And use a quick piece of SQL to add them back joining on load_rec. In this event it was easier than using a utility to convert from variable length to fixed length, which also solves this problem. Despite the above, in an ideal world, I would be able to manage it all from the control file, the best candidate seemed to be continueif but I haven't been able to apply that to this situation. Any thoughts? TIA Jonathan