Re: Text-file

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 05:29:14 +1100

For the query about how you read data directly from a text file, making it look as though it were a table, look in the 9i documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com for the topic EXTERNAL TABLES... warning: they are read-only, can't have indexes, and are suitable for infrequent access only.

For data to be loaded from text files into "proper" tables in a one-off operation (after which, being genuine tables, you can of course update the data, index it and so on), SQL Loader is the way to go.

For Oracle to perform direct manipulation of files at the O/S level, you give yourself, the user, the read and write directory system privileges. You also need to give the instance permission to read and write to a directory by setting the init.ora paramater UTIL_FILE_DIR (and then bouncing your instance).

Regards