Re: OEM Configuration Assistant problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:45:09 +1100

OEM version 2 is pretty nearly the donkey's bollocks (meaning: it's superb).

But you can't just hack away at things like this and expect it all to work smoothly. I've no idea what server you're using, nor what operating system it uses (you ommitted those two nuggets of information), but the golden rule with all this stuff is: get a *clean* O/S install, and it will work first time, every time.

Running out of space in tools is a bit of a no-no, really. Especially when the installer suggests to create a brand new tablespace for you (which is guaranteed to be of the correct size, with autoextend on so it can cope with further installations etc.).

Why don't you try walking before running, and do a perfectly standard, software-only, Standard Edition install on a cleanly-installed Windows PC, then run emca and accept all the defaults? Let the emca do the repository database creation for you: believe me, it does a better and more predictable job than you (or I) can be trusted to do on our own. When you've mastered the default install/configuration, then it's time to move on to the customised stuff.

I must have installed OEM about 100 times or more in the past six months. It's never gone wrong on me yet... but I always start out with a completely clean slate. It's definitely worth it.

Regards
HJR "Ed Stevens" <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow> wrote in message news:3de4f84b.61610160_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com...
> Platform: Win2K, Oracle 8.1.7.0.0, OEM packs 2.2.0
>
> We're looking at several DBA tools -- OEM, BMC Patrol, and Quest
Spotlight. I
> am currently trying to set up OEM for evaluation and have run into a
problem
> with the OEM configuration assistant.
>
> All work is being done on an old server that I use for this kind of 'lab'
work.

> First, I installed Oracle 8.1.7 and created a db that was destined to
become my
> repository.
>
> Next, I tried to install OEM and the Tuning, Change, and Diagnostic packs
from a
> separate OEM CD. On the first attempt I tried to install into a separate
OEM
> home, selecting a typical install of OEM, infrastructure, and management
packs.
> The the installer said that OEM was already installed.
>
> Next I tried to do a 'typical' install of just the management packs into
the
> same Oracle home as the databae and the supposedly already installed OEM.
This
> installation completed.
>
> Next I brought up OEM configuration assistant (it didn't start
automatically at
> the end of installation like the docs suggested it would). Configuration
seemed
> to be going fine until it stopped because my TOOLS tablespace (which I had
> specified as the default for the OEM user) was too small. So I added
another
> file to the tablespace (tripling the total TS size) and restarted OEM
config
> assistant. This produced what appeard to be a command prompt window with
the
> message "Oracle Enterprise Manager Version 2.2.0.0.0 - Configuration
Assistant"
> and just hung there.
>
> Thinking that perhaps there might be a problem with a partially created
> repository, I dropped the OEM user and tried the config assistant again.
This