Re: OEM Configuration Assistant problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:01:59 +0100

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:57:16 GMT, spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote:

>Which is where I'm left hanging . . . .
>
>The last time I tried to work w/ OEM (with an early 8.0 installation) it struck
>me as being pretty 'brittle', which is why we never got into it. This time it's
>not doing anything to make me re-think my earlier opinion. Yet, I know there
>are people out there managing fairly large enterprises with OEM and they think
>it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
>
>Any suggestions or observations?

Never seen the problems you outline above. Of course OEM is written in Java and depending on installation you might be having a whole lot of different JDK's around. At this point the best option would be to query Metalink.
As far as I am concerned, if you only have the basic OEM installation, and you have the 3rd party tools you mention above, I would forget about OEM. If you have the management packs, and you don't run into firewall bureaucracy, OEM is pretty impressive, and will always be more stable than for instance HP Openview in conjunction with homegrown scripts (which you have to maintain and distribute everywhere, as they need to run locally) or BMC Patrol. The problem I think there aren't that many OEM users (but I might be wrong) is that large organizations already have Openview or BMC Patrol, or Tivoli, and they are simply not willing to break their integrated solution. OEM can now send SNMP traps to 3rd party software, so that doesn't need to be an issue anymore.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Nov 27 2002 - 16:01:59 CST