XML - Oracle XML developer tool kit - is this 'scope creep'?

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:11:36 GMT

My nemisis project went to production last week (see old threads 'venting my spleen' and comments in '2gb per process memory limit') and I've been spending most of my time since pulling server and db performance stats, making a case that those components are quite healthy and not even breathing hard.

Now, on a tangent, the leader of that project wants to start doing some prototyping with Oracle's XML developer tool kit. A quick check of the OUI showed the toolkit is already installed, but a DESC XMLDOM (as recommended in the docs) indicates necessary packages have not been built.

Apart from the technical merits of XML (I've only done a 'speed read' of that thread!) what am I getting into here? What do I need to be watching out for? Is this probably some significant scope creep, or is it a trivial installation of some packages to give the developers some additional ways in which to hang themselves?

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)