Oracle RMAN and Veritas Cluster Server

From: Stuart <stuart.horsman_at_prudential.co.uk>
Date: 27 Nov 2002 08:36:05 -0800

Dear DBAs,

We are attempting to cluster our 2 Oracle servers using Veritas Cluster Server version 3.5 with the Oracle Cluster Agent. We can failover the databases just fine in cluster but are having problems with our backups.

We use RMAN to perform database backups to disk, then use Netbackup to backup the disk file to tape. The problem we have is that we have one VCS service group for rman, which contains resources of type disk, volume and mount. This file system contains our rman backups that we backup using netbackup.

Unfortunately, if we run a remote database backup from one system on the other cluster node, the backup fails because the rman service group is not mounted on the remote system. Is there any way to write a remote rman backup file to a local file system without using NFS? If we start to introduce NFS then I'd have to introduce this into VCS.

I really can't think of anyway getting round this problem in rman without creating 2 rman service groups and creating local dependencies between this and the database service groups.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stuart Horsman Received on Wed Nov 27 2002 - 10:36:05 CST