Max. Number of processes

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:25:20 +0100

Hello

I run two Databases in one server (Oracle 8.1.7/Solaris 2.7 on a E3500). At times, users cannot connect to any of these two DB because the "max. number of processes has been reached". So I once changed the corresponding parameter in the init.ora file of both DB. It happened then that only one of the two DB could be started, namely the first one, whichever was started first. After restoring the original value of the parameter (smaller value again), both DB could be started.

So it seems that the DB are competing for the limited resources of the number of processs allowed by the *operating system*. So it is this OS parameter that should be increased in the first place. I just don't know how to do that, but assume that one would change some line in the /etc/system file and restart the machine.

Any hint?

Thanks a lot
Rick Denoire Received on Tue Nov 26 2002 - 17:25:20 CST