Re: Trivia question - file date.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2002 14:53:22 -0800

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA702F9B48B_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...
> Assuming Unix, then ls -l shows the last modification date/time, not the
> creation date/time.
>
> As I don't use read only tablespaces, I always check I've got the right
> file to delete when I drop a tablespace by forcing a checkpoint, and
> checking the datafile dates - the one that I thought it was shouldn't
> have changed but the others should have. I then know that it is safe to
> remove the data file.

So you are saying, a checkpoint has never happened with weekly bouncing?

WOW!

> Measure twice, cut once - as Nuno would no doubt agree.

That was why I posted this trivia question! Instance name obscured:

SQL> select * from dba_temp_files;

FILE_NAME

   FILE_ID TABLESPACE_NAME                     BYTES     BLOCKS STATUS
---------- ------------------------------ ---------- ----------

RELATIVE_FNO AUT MAXBYTES MAXBLOCKS INCREMENT_BY USER_BYTES USER_BLOCKS
------------ --- ---------- ---------- ------------ ----------

/oracle/oradata/****/temp_local01.dbf
         1 TEMP_LOCAL                     2097152000     256000
AVAILABLE
           1 NO           0          0            0 2086666240
254720

/oracle/oradata/****/temp_local02.dbf

         2 TEMP_LOCAL                     2097152000     256000
AVAILABLE
           2 NO           0          0            0 2086666240
254720

FILE_NAME

   FILE_ID TABLESPACE_NAME                     BYTES     BLOCKS STATUS
---------- ------------------------------ ---------- ----------

RELATIVE_FNO AUT MAXBYTES MAXBLOCKS INCREMENT_BY USER_BYTES USER_BLOCKS
------------ --- ---------- ---------- ------------ ----------

SQL> !ll /oracle/oradata/****/temp_local02.dbf -rw-rw---- 1 oracle sys 2097160192 May 28 2002 /oracle/oradata/****/temp_local02.dbf

SQL> alter system checkpoint;

System altered.

SQL> !ll /oracle/oradata/****/temp_local*.dbf -rw-rw---- 1 oracle sys 2097160192 Nov 26 14:02 /oracle/oradata/****/temp_local01.dbf
-rw-rw---- 1 oracle sys 2097160192 May 28 2002 /oracle/oradata/****/temp_local02.dbf

> Why you have a file with an old date, and you don't have readonly
> tablespaces - I would suggest that the file is no longer part of the
> database.

I would suggest you are making the same mistake I almost made. :-O

> Cheers,
> Norman.

> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator