Re: Certification query

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:36:10 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:NscD9.81350$g9.228400_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> When you attend your first course, ask lots and lots of questions of your
> instructor about how best to proceed, as well as about the subject matter
in
> hand (but leave those questions to a convenient break!)

Great advice. I'd add don't be afraid to look foolish either (though convenient breaks are handy for limiting foolish appearance to the instructor :( ). If you have a question its a valid one; to take an example not at all at random 'but i can't even install oracle what am i doing wrong?' is not a daft question, if you have a p4 and 8i this will happen.

As a side note I read this today from a certain Mr Pratchett (as profound as Mr Bowie but funnier).

"but when you got older you found out that what you was *now* wasn't what ou was *then*.You then was a twerp. You then was what you had to be to start out on the rocky road of becoming you now, and one of the rocky places on that road was you being a twerp"

Now and again on public lists like this folk with experience bawl out folk without experience for being a twerp, I'm sure I've done it. Teachers tend to be good at not doing it, though admittedly people who won't listen wind them up.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA