Re: Feedback on please

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:22:28 -0000

"Angie" <angie_kong_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OWDE9.28936$hi6.3773_at_nwrddc02.gnilink.net... My summary of the paper would go as follows.

SQLServer does a better job of running various benchmarks than Oracle does. I have no real world examples.
We run a different clustering model that might be better or worse but please don't think about that question at the moment I'm demolishing marketing here.
No of course I wasn't aiming my paper at Unix users they can't run my product anyway.

I'd hate to draw up a business plan for a highly scalable database architecture on several hundred thousand dollars worth of gear and software based on marketing whitepapers (from whomever).

Why don't you download RAC and 9i from Oracle's technet site, download sqlserver eval edition and set up a lab. do failovers, do node failures, test your app(s). I expect that one product will suit your needs/experience better than the other.

Please note I'm not trying to slam SQLserver here - its a great product and may well be the one for you - just make your decision based on business need and repeatable results not marketing papers. You never know you may well find you don't need a clustered highly available solution at all, at least not at the required cost.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA