Re: Oracle Licences answer written in english

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:23:58 GMT

Monica Wright wrote:

> Hey Daniel, I was told that the Standard edition of Oarcle wouldnt hack 30
> users, running 9ias 9ir2 and the collaboration pack, which i would have
> thought for a duel xeon system with 2gb ram would have been more than happy.
> Im licencing by user because athought the server will be doing allot,
> running a web interface, running email, running a case management system and
> indexing documents theres only 30 users max, so i dont think i need EE at
> all.
>
> Yr thoughts?
>
> Yes she was a Oracle employee, wish i could remember her damn name
>
> Basically my system, will be running a small firm of 30 users, with a nice
> web interface it will be doing some case management, and storing some
> documents as text and as pdf files which will be indexed. There will also
> be some jpeg and tiff file stored on there. It will be doing some email and
> sending incremental backsups to anotehr db via dsl. There will be many Gb
> of data after a little while but like i have said not many users. I was
> told Oracle9i was not up to the job, and i would have to buy EE even though
> it had 100 users minimum.

A quick primer.

You can license in multiple ways some of which are based on CPU rather than by user. The person you spoke with seems reasonably clueless and should not be talked with again.

With respect to the number of users you can connect to Oracle Standard Edition the number is certainly in the tens of thousands, perhaps more. The differences between the editions relate to features such as function based indexes and partitioning ... it has nothing to do with hardware requirements or whatever stuff you have mentioned.

If you have still having problems let me know and I'll refer you to someone at Oracle that understands what they are selling.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 18:23:58 CST