Duplicate sessions

From: dsmcd <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:56:09 GMT

Hello...

What can cause duplicate sessions? 817 on Win2k.

I have a POS database where each register logs on as the same user. Suddenly, in the middle of a normal day, they stopped responding due to duplicate sessions. I disconnected all the sessions associated with the unresponsive Machine Names and gave them a restart. Problem solved. Apparently each register was waiting for its 'ghost session' to complete some task before the register could continue.

One register suffered a duplicate session, then about a half an hour later three other registers suffered them in quick succession. Also, I noticed that disconnecting one session from the first register took several minutes to disconnect whereas all other sessions disconnected very quickly.

I can't be sure, but I suspect some registers had more than one duplicate session. Hard to tell since by the time I discovered the cause of the trouble, I was in emergency mode and needed to get them running asap.

This database has been in use for close to a year without having this or, really, any other issue so far.

Can't think of any user error on the registers that could have caused this. The front-end is pretty locked down to user interference.

Any suggestions? or pertinent websites?

Thx,
D. Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 14:56:09 CST