Re: Oracle configuration on Enterprise E450

From: Darren Dunham <ddunham_at_redwood.taos.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:51:11 GMT

In comp.unix.solaris Mike Bromwich <mike_at_pdms.com> wrote:
> Hi

> I need to run Oracle/Solaris 9 on an E450 with 10 x 4Gb HDDs. Does
> anyone have any advice on how to distribute the OS, database, data,
> logs etc. across the 10 drives? The server is to be used for
> development purposes only, and not with huge databases. However, given
> that the server has 10 disks, I would like to use them intelligenty.

I've seen oracle papers now recommending SAME (Stripe And Mirror Everything), and that tends to be an easier environment to administer than putting individual components in particular places.

The only problem with striping a lot of disks is that it's difficult to add to a large stripe base.

If you have 10 disks, I'd do..

2 OS disks (mirrored)                     -> / (root)
8 data disks (4 way stripe + mirroring) -> /oradata1 (db, index, logs..)

This has the disadvantage that you'd want to add disks in groups of 8 to extend the volume and filesystem in the future.

This has the advantage that all operations (indexes, data transfers, logs) get to use the maximal number of spindles.

Of course you also mentioned this was development only. If you will be restricted in your production layout, then I'd attempt to recreate it in development.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham_at_taos.com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company