LOG_BUFFER setting question

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:00:40 +0100

Hello, I would like to ask on more question:

The 8i online CD says:

LOG_BUFFER
Parameter type: Integer
 Parameter class: Static
 Default value: Operating system specific. Maximum: 500K or 128K * CPU_COUNT, whichever is greater
Range of values: Operating system dependent

We have 4CPU, so maximum is 524288 ?
Does it mean that the actual setting of 2097152 (2M) is a mistake ? It was set as we found 'redo log space requests' from a script report, and the script suggested to increase log_buffer (from 1M already).

If 128k*CPU count is the maximal value, what can I do to decrease 'redo log space requests' still occurring ?

SQL> select substr(name,1,25) Name,
  2 substr(value,1,15) "VALUE (Near 0?)"   3 from v$sysstat
  4 where name = 'redo log space requests'   5 /

NAME                      VALUE (Near 0?)
redo log space requests 2988

This definitely far beyond 0 and also increasing over the last months ...

My system:
Oracle EE 8.1.7 on AIX 4.3.3 (4 CPU), C/S environment with 200 clients, but only 10 active (avg) at the same time.
Oracle Forms&Reports Runtime Environment on clients.

ThanX in advance,
Jan Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 09:00:40 CST