Re: broad discussion about future market direction for DBA

From: grjohnson <Johnsog123_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 03:14:26 -0800

> Telstra has a long reputation for bleeding edge projects and
> la-la-land development to suit the purpose of the incumbent contractor.
> It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a book come out of it either!

Write about it.... well, I don't think anyone we'll be seeing a book out on this one.

> > I've seen this functionality at work, and whilst I agree that
> > it will only be required in small cases, there is a requirement for
> > it.
>
> Precisely. 100% agreed. You just said it all in one sentence: "small cases".
> That is the gist of all this XML marketing rap: small cases.

Small cases...true, but whilst the technology is there and is suited to the application, why not utilise it.

> Neither should any other DBA interested in mainstream work.
> Not to say that where it is appropriate, it's not a "killer technology".
> Back in the mainframe rooms of IBM.

What is "mainstream" nodays in the DBA market? I feel a DBA's role is slowly digressing from the Norm. Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 05:14:26 CST