Re: Is the use of VARCHAR(256) as Primary Keys preferred in Oracle?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 24 Nov 2002 20:53:15 -0600

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, kennedy-family_at_attbi.com wrote:

> a surrogate key is an arbitrary key (eg a sequence). A natural
> key is one that is naturally part of the data (eg in the US the
> social security number for people)

But the social security number was a generated number. Sure, mine "means" me, but it was still generated.

Maybe part of the arbitrary argument can be upheld because a person designing his database doesn't trust "natural" keys. Most database guys aren't, and shouldn't be, very trusting of much.

--
Galen Boyer