Re: sending core dumps to dev/null

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:45:32 GMT

"Steven" <askme_at_nowhere.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> As I are using Oracle 8.1.7 we get a considerable amount of core dumps
> on our system filling up the disk space over a period of months.
> Eventually there is no space left which forces us to shutdown Oracle.
> Just removing the dumps does not release the space (because this is
> how UNIX works - or does someone know how to fix this?). So I was
> wondering if I can disable the core dumping function of oracle
> (probably not) or even send the dumps to dev/null. Anyone tried
> this??
>
> I know it's a stupid idea to send the core dumps to dev/null. I don't
> really think I will do this it's more a theoretical question.
>
> Thank,
> Steve
>
> --
> Holidays in Berchtesgaden, Germany:
> http://www.sonnenkoepfl.de/

here is one way to minimize the damage... add a line to the initSID.ORA which limits the size of the dump file. However this is attcking the symptom & not the source of the problem. Oracle should NOT be core dumping at all; let alone frequently. Received on Sat Nov 23 2002 - 10:45:32 CST