Re: many connections to OracleDB -> memory/performance problems

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:25:26 +0100

Comments embedded
"Nowitzky" <member_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:2080178.1038052367_at_dbforums.com...

> Hi,
>
> my java-application use connection pooling. After some hours I habe 90
> connection to my Oracle9i (on Linux) database; only some of them are
> active. That is ok.

That is NOT ok! Most of these processes must have disconnected illegally, thus leaving the dedicated server processes intact, which actually do *nothing*.
You should enable dead connection detecting by including sqlnet.expire_time = 10
in the *servers* sqlnet.ora (usually in /etc or $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin)

> But in my process list (operating system) I see that every database
> process/thread will use more than 400MB (after starting the application
> each process will user 100KB and during the time this size is growing
> enormously).

This includes the shared libraries, so definitely not 400Mb dedicated.

The result is that the system swaps, because 4GB memory are
> to small. Can I limit the size which will be used from an oracle
> process? And how I configure this optimal?

The usual O/S limits apply. Decreasing them will of course cause your process to fault. It rather looks like you have a badly written application (Java is not especially known for it's efficiency, and most Java programmers use hardcoded literals instead of bind variables all the time, because they have to code more lines to use bind variables) and you have tried to resolve those problems by cranking db_block_buffers and shared_pool_size up.

> I'm using a dedicated server. Shoud I use MTS?

If the memory consumption is being caused by session pga and session uga (which you can examine using v$sesstat) I don't think using MTS won't help much.

And how I can configure
> this in the best way?

By reading the NET8 manual.

> Thanx for help!