Re: Sun vs. Intel

From: Svend Jensen <svend.jensenKILLSPAM_at_it.dk>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:56:48 +0000

Hard question.

I am not impressed by standard Solaris security - it is more like workstation than server. Fine grained access control (file permissions) is not default implemented. HP UX and Linux is far better on this scale. But Solaris is OK on other security issues.

If Intel platform is a *must*, settle for Linux. Even if Win2K is stable (damm), memory requirements may out rule any windows OS. With Advanced Server and a few tricks, max. memory for the multithreaded oracle.exe is 3G without the Intel disk/memory driver layer (slower - not severe, but bad). Each shadow process uses 2M alone for stack and pga. Add sort_area, hash_area, .. you will very soon run out of memory with 400 sessions, and clients get the ora-12500 unable to spawn dedicated shadow process(lack of memory). Then you *must* run MTU.
With MTU the dba loses control, trace ability, .....

With Your setup, I feel the drawbacks with win2K are to severe to handle.

Then there is Solaris Intel or Linux left.

rgds
/svend Jensen