Re: Sun vs. Intel

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:14:57 +0100

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:42:51 -0500, Gary Delong <gdelong_at_SEE-SIG.com> wrote:

>Don't want to start a war, but management here read the
>recent Business Week article about using Dell servers
>to replace Sun servers and saving "Big Bucks". As the
>Unix admin, I've been asked to comment, but lack any
>real feel for the Oracle on Intel environment.
>
>We currently have Oracle 8i running on a 6 CPU E3500
>w/Solaris 8 and a database of about 80GB. It serves a
>couple of frontend NT boxes and often sees 300 to 400
>oracle processes.
>
>Since I'm a Unix/Sun guy, I'm obviously a little biased,
>but willing to listen anyone who can expound on the pros
>and cons of making this type of move.
>
>I appreceate your thoughts.
>
>Thanks much,
>--Gary
>
>email gdelong at conversent dot com

NT is by design less scalable than any Unix implementation, and definitely crashes more often. Also, if you search the newsgroup archives you should be capable to find several tests which demonstrate Solaris is faster.
As to the size of the databases and the number of processes: I don't think any NT config will be capable to manage this, the person premeditating this move seems to be willing to bring the company in Chapter 12 state.
If management decides to proceed, make sure you have a different job before the NT implementation goes live, or you won't survive it.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Nov 22 2002 - 12:14:57 CST