Re: Enterprise-wide development environments?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:03:04 +0100

On 21 Nov 2002 23:09:36 -0600, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:

>How do you guys set up your application building shops?
>
>I want each ejb developer to have a local copy of Oracle Enterprise
>Edition, with the default database installed. I then, through source
>control, will give them the init.ora, startup and shutdown scripts and
>the database code to build the latest database schema.
>
>We then have a larger machine for me and my database developers to work
>on the code while constantly worrying about performance. We then have
>one more honking machine for QA. Another machine for production and one
>hotfix, that looks like production.
>
>The thing I don't like about each developer having a local instance is
>that each developer will have to learn enough about the database to be
>comfortable being a proxy for their database administration duties.
>
>The thing I like about each developer having a local instance is that
>each developer will have to learn enough about the database to be
>comfortable being a proxy for their database administration duties.
>
>What do you guys think?

Most likely *you* will be the single person having to attend to <n developers> *messes*, as most developers I know don't *want* to learn DBA (according to most developers they are too smart for that, and every DBA is by design stupid)), and are *very* careless about administration in general because they simply don't have the proper feeling for it.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Nov 22 2002 - 12:03:04 CST