Re: Bye Oracle.

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:50:54 -0500

"TurkBear" <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message news:eltntugu0i36hll22csktk4n8kqgaa8vof_at_4ax.com...
> If you use processor and not named user licensing, you will usually save
many $...

> (cost for 9i is @ 40K per processor )

Now multiply that by 12 CPUs, and 2 nodes on a cluster. Even though Oracle is only running on one node at a time, they still insist on licensing it on both nodes, all CPUs. 2 x 12 x 40K = 960K. I can run SQL or UDB on a similar 2 node cluster for a fraction of that. This is just licensing. You need to add in support too.

Unless they bring their licensing costs back to earth, I say Oracle will be at best #3 in market share in 5 years and out of business in 10. They just don't seem to "get" how far out of line their pricing is. You could argue it's the best database. You could also argue that Lexus is the best car, but nobody in their right mind would pay a million dollars for one. Received on Fri Nov 22 2002 - 08:50:54 CST