Re: Log file sequential read ??

From: srivenu <srivenu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2002 00:54:13 -0800

I dont remember where and by whom but i read an article long time back that the LGWR --often-- needs to read an entire log block from disk before it tries to write a partly modified log buffer block to the log file.
Lets say the OS block size (Which is also the log file block size) is 512 bytes.
Then if LGWR tries to write redo shorter than that, it reads the entire block and writes it back with the modified data. I too am not entirely clear why. The article was written either by Jonathan Lewis or Steve Adams or Tom Kyte. regards
Srivenu Received on Fri Nov 22 2002 - 02:54:13 CST