Re: shutdown immediate: make it go faster

From: xueyang <xueyangy_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:53:37 +0800

I also met such situation in our db on linux 6.2. It's just like this:

When i issue shutdown immediate, it just hangs there, seems have a lot of work to finish.
after long long time waiting, i have to ctrl c quit and use startup force. The db startup quickly, works fine and seems nothing wrong takes place.

I guess we have no choice but issue startup force or shutdown abort if under such situation.

"Charles J. Fisher" <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org> wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0211211057170.3082-100000_at_galt.rhadmin.org...
> "shutdown immediate" takes a long time on some of my databases. I've never
> really known why; disk activity is usually very low throughout the
> shutdown period.
>
> However, if I kill all of the "oracleSID (LOCAL=NO)" processes prior to
> the the shutdown immediate, it goes a lot faster. I assume that this will
> drive PMON nuts, but I don't see any other major risk.
>
> I've killed these processes with:
>
> ps -ef | awk '/oracle.*LOCAL=NO/ && !/awk/ {print "kill "$2}' | sh
>
> Is this something that I should consider doing in non-emergency
> situations?

> | The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
|
> | Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
|
> | Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
|
> | Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
|

> | -Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

> / Charles J. Fisher | cfisher@rhadmin.org | http://rhadmin.org
/
---