Re: Seeking Advice

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:16:56 GMT

Joel Garry wrote:
> "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3ddc287f_3_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
>

>>If it were up to me (it isn't, but I advise), I'd offer Adrian a job (in
>>fact I responded privately to his original posting), on the grounds of his
>>honesty and his attitude.
>>
>>Unfortunately, he lives too far away for us (he is in the South West corner
>>of England; we are in the South East corner).

> How far is that? I routinely commute 110 miles/day, farther than that
> I usually stay over. Of course, farther than that I only get contract
> work anyways. A couple of times people have tried to recruit me to
> Scotland or someplace, but the wife won't leave paradise. I'm near
> San Diego, BTW. There is at least one full-time perm employee who
> lives farther than I do, and several nearly as far (in a different
> direction). But that's nothing compared to some San Francisco folk
> who have their families in Oregon and commute by commercial jet (which
> I think is further than England is long). I know people in New York
> who are retired to Montauk after a lifetime of having city and country
> residences.
>
> Whether this should be an issue, even for 7/24 support, given modern
> communications, is something I'd like to see aired. Jeez, someone is
> selling a wireless PDA just for DBAs! And yet I haven't been able to
> telecommute since the '80s.
>

>>I sincerely believe that anyone who hires him will never look back.
>>

> Public accolades certainly can't hurt!
>

>>Regards,
>>Paul

> jg
> --
> @home is bogus.
> Everything on usenet is part of your permanent record.
You can't judge a commute by distance alone. I also live/work in the San Diego area and our clogged freeways have turned rush "hour" into rush "day" ... Sunday 2am ain't bad, though. After a recent trip to Romania, I'd hate to commute more than 20 km with the condition of their roads! :) Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 16:16:56 CST