Re: Seeking Advice

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2002 14:05:53 -0800

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3ddc287f_3_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...

> If it were up to me (it isn't, but I advise), I'd offer Adrian a job (in
> fact I responded privately to his original posting), on the grounds of his
> honesty and his attitude.
>
> Unfortunately, he lives too far away for us (he is in the South West corner
> of England; we are in the South East corner).

How far is that? I routinely commute 110 miles/day, farther than that I usually stay over. Of course, farther than that I only get contract work anyways. A couple of times people have tried to recruit me to Scotland or someplace, but the wife won't leave paradise. I'm near San Diego, BTW. There is at least one full-time perm employee who lives farther than I do, and several nearly as far (in a different direction). But that's nothing compared to some San Francisco folk who have their families in Oregon and commute by commercial jet (which I think is further than England is long). I know people in New York who are retired to Montauk after a lifetime of having city and country residences.

Whether this should be an issue, even for 7/24 support, given modern communications, is something I'd like to see aired. Jeez, someone is selling a wireless PDA just for DBAs! And yet I haven't been able to telecommute since the '80s.

> I sincerely believe that anyone who hires him will never look back.

Public accolades certainly can't hurt!

> Regards,
> Paul

jg

--
@home is bogus.
Everything on usenet is part of your permanent record.