shutdown immediate: make it go faster

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:05:16 GMT

"shutdown immediate" takes a long time on some of my databases. I've never really known why; disk activity is usually very low throughout the shutdown period.

However, if I kill all of the "oracleSID (LOCAL=NO)" processes prior to the the shutdown immediate, it goes a lot faster. I assume that this will drive PMON nuts, but I don't see any other major risk.

I've killed these processes with:

ps -ef | awk '/oracle.*LOCAL=NO/ && !/awk/ {print "kill "$2}' | sh

Is this something that I should consider doing in non-emergency situations?

| The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, |
| Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit |
| Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, |
| Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it. |
| |
| -Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam |

 / Charles J. Fisher | cfisher@rhadmin.org | http://rhadmin.org /