Re: How does oracle utilize raw disk device as datafile?

From: MePhi <mephi_at_w-sieci.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:31:15 +0100

Gary YU wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I always use plain files(on HPUX) as oracle datafiles. But to my
> knowledge, raw disk device may have a better I/O performance vs.
> plain files based on OS.
>
> My question is, how do I utilize raw device when creating datafiles? I
> can create a logical volume on HPUX with the property of 'raw device',
> shall I specify the character device file of this logical volume as
> the full path of the datafile ? e.g
>
> ALTER TABLE USERS ADD DATAFILE '/dev/vg01/rlovldata1' SIZE 1000M
>
> thanks,
> Gary

Hi Gary,

  1. create a logical volume - size >= current tablespace/datafile size.
  2. create a symbolic links to theres volumes
  3. when creating/migrating database use symbolic links to place datafiles
  4. Import data from oryginal database or use DD utility to transfer all blocks form filesystem datafiles.
  5. When you create a new file just pint DAYAFILE to symbolic link.

Best regards
Marcin Kwasninki Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 02:31:15 CST