Re: Importing from Oracle9i to Oracle8.0

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:49:14 +1100

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:3ddc287c$1_3_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Juergen Diet" <jdiet_at_acm.org> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > is Oracle's export/import-utility backward compatible?
> >
> > Depends what you mean. The rule is: you must use the lower version of
> export
> > against the higher version of the database in order to produce a
> > low-version-compatible dump file.
> >
> > > I want to export a user of an Oracle9i database and
> > > import him into an Oracle8.0.5 database. Is this
> > > possible if I did not use any 9i-specific features
> > > for this database user?
> >
> > So, using the above rule, you go to the Oracle 8.0.5 HOME/bin directory
> and
> > launch export from there. Connect to the 9i database as per normal
(using
> > tnsnames alias if necessary) and perform your export. That gets you an
> > 8.0-compatible dump file, and yes... as you'd expect, that can be
imported
> > into the 8.0.5 database.
> >
> > Whether the user has made use of 9i specific features or not is
therefore
> > irrelevant: the 8.x version of export will not be able to cope with any
> that
> > it finds in any case, and will throw an error for that particular object
> and
> > then just keep on going. The dump file won't, in other words, contain
any
> > 9i-specific features even if the user had any.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Juergen
> >

> All the above is right, but usually one has to go into the higher version
> database first, and run catexpnn, where nn is the lower version. This is
> fool the nn exp binary by creating a set of nn-compatible views.
>

> Regards,
> Paul

Hate to disagree and all that, but that's not quite true, I think. There is certainly a catexp7.sql which is needed if you're going to run the version 7 export binary against a higher version database. But our original poster is doing a version 8.0 export, and there is certainly no catexp8.sql in the 9i Release 2 installation I have in front of me.

Neither is there a catexp8, incidentally.

And I've been doing exports from 9i using 8i binaries for ages, and have never had to run a thing beforehand.

I could of course be wrong -but don't think I am!

Cheers,
HJR >