How does oracle utilize raw disk device as datafile?

From: Gary YU <gary.yu_at_istark.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 14:00:57 -0800

Hi all,

I always use plain files(on HPUX) as oracle datafiles. But to my knowledge, raw disk device may have a better I/O performance vs. plain files based on OS.

My question is, how do I utilize raw device when creating datafiles? I can create a logical volume on HPUX with the property of 'raw device', shall I specify the character device file of this logical volume as the full path of the datafile ? e.g

ALTER TABLE USERS ADD DATAFILE '/dev/vg01/rlovldata1' SIZE 1000M

thanks,
Gary Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 16:00:57 CST