Re: Bye Oracle.

From: Bass Chorng <bchorng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 11:27:05 -0800

norwoodthree_at_my-deja.com (NorwoodThree) wrote in message news:<ba03e2c.0211200715.3d8e0ae0_at_posting.google.com>...
> Our company is trying to phase out Oracle in favor of SQL Server due
> to licensing costs for our data warehouse.
>
> I dont want to cause a huge thread, but is there a link somewhere that
> explains the disadvantages to this? I dont know anything about SQL
> Server. I know there have been threads as to "Oracle vs. SQL Server"
> but it doesnt answer my question directly. I want to stick with
> Oracle.
>
> Thanks.

  I don't know much about SQL server either. But I do know one horrible   difference. SQL server locks a table when you select in order to   get a consistent image. In Oracle a select will never block an   update. SQL server does not use RBS to preserve before image.

  As to DW, I think Oracle also has a lot more features available. Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 13:27:05 CST