Re: statspack setup question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 06:24:40 +1100

"Ed Stevens" <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow> wrote in message news:3ddbd416.67114375_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com...
> Well, I finally made the 'leap' (uh, slight hop?) from utlestat to
statspack.
> Installed on one test database and liked what I saw. Now I need to
install it
> on at least one (and ultimately, all) of my prod databases. A couple of
> questions about 'best practice'
>
> First, any recommendations on best extent size to define for the TS that
will
> hold the perfstat schema?

Locally managed autoallocate, I reckon.

> Second, it looks like we will need to set it to take snapshots at regular
> intervals through eight hour periods. Any recommendations on the optimum
> interval? Every five minutes? Thirty minutes? One hour?

It depends (TM)! It depends on how much work you do on the database. 5 minutes could be laughably short or about right. The spauto.sql script proposes every hour. I would probably do every half hour myself on a moderately busy system, and take it from there.

I have a lot of students swearing blind that BMC Patrol is the best thing since sliced, low-fat, high-fibre bread. More than that, I can't say.

Regards
HJR
> As an aside, we are also investigating more sophisticated packages to
assist in
> monitoring and tuning. Right now we are looking at BMC Patrol, Quest
Spotlight,