Re: Bye Oracle.

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:09:57 -0500

"Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:LNPC9.33$8o5.4324386_at_newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> NorwoodThree wrote:
> > Our company is trying to phase out Oracle in favor of SQL Server due
> > to licensing costs for our data warehouse.
> >
> > I dont want to cause a huge thread, but is there a link somewhere that
> > explains the disadvantages to this? I dont know anything about SQL
> > Server. I know there have been threads as to "Oracle vs. SQL Server"
> > but it doesnt answer my question directly. I want to stick with
> > Oracle.
> >
> > Thanks.
> Call your Oracle sales person. I'm sure they have *lots* of white papers
> that will tell you why Oracle is better than SQL Server.

I don't think anyone here would argue that Oracle is the better database. The question is whether it's better enough to justify the higher price tag. Not long ago our company priced licensing on a new DB to support a web based app. 99.99% of the users would be internal. .01% would access it via the internet. The price for Oracle was over $1,000,000. Sql server was around $10,000 and DB2 was around $20,000. Oracle's pricing made it a no brainer. Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 13:09:57 CST