Re: Oracle History??

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 06:00:18 +1100

Well, I think they should, because on closer inspection of the document Mark kindly posted a link to, I discover it wasn't so perfect after all. For a start, it disagrees with Oracle's own website (the link Karsten posted) about when Parallel Server was first available (it agrees with my first thoughts that it was 1989, but the Oracle website says 1985). And its a bit skimpy on detail such as 'what is the background of interMedia', which I know I can get fro Tom Kyte's Expert One-on-One... the question is, where did *he* get it from, and why can't we get similar potted histories for any given product or feature?

It's a big job, but the Corporation should definitely have an archivist.

Regards
> > > Does anyone know of a set of documentation outlining when features
first
> > > appeared in various Oracle versions? For example, I believe that
Parallel
> > > Server first made an appearance in version 5 in 1989. But I've only
got a
> > > rather dodgy source for that belief, and I'd like the donkey's
doo-dah's
> > > last word in authorative truth on the matter. Just as an example.
> > >
> > > Is there such a document ('cos I can't find it if so)?
> > >
> > > Personal reminiscences are appreciated, but not quite the definitive
source
> > > I was after!
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > HJR
> >
> > Sorry, can't give references. May be couple of days later.
> >
> > Set operations: union, minus, intersect: v5
> >
> > Read-only consistency: v6. There was a white paper, I don't think it's
possible
> > to find it now. There was also an article, probably in Byte magazine in
1989(?).

> > Cost-based optimizer: v7. White paper might be still available on
Metalink, but