Re: Rollback and slow delete

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:48:46 +0100

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:29:15 -0000, "TC3 Racer" <gordonchapman_at_hotmailSENDNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Using Oracle 8i/NT4, the amount of data being loaded as suddenly increased
>and we have started getting performance problems when deleting
>
>In 5 days we have 14,000,000 rows and we delete ( or try to delete) any data
>old than 2.5 days, but are getting the error
>
>'ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 5 with name "RBS4" too
>small'
>
>I'm not bothered about recovering this so I've set 'nologging' but it still
>writes to the redo log.
>
>Will partitioning the table also help
>
>Thanks
>
>GC

Please search the archives at http://groups.google.com for ora-1555. It has been discussed *many* times and quite extensively. The short answer is
either
a) your rollback segments are too small
or
b) you are committing inside a loop

and NO, you can not disable the redolog, the 'nologging' attribute does not apply to delete.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 11:48:46 CST